So we had to take down the old rafters because they were getting rotten along the top and on the ends due to the white tarp disintegrating. We put up new 2 x 6 rafters and 2 x 4 stringers to support the galvanized metal roofing we are putting on now. Since I’m not using it as an art studio anymore, and it is being used for storage, we are not trying to make the roof translucent anymore.￼
In Florida I had built an open air art studio in my backyard. We had used white tarp on the roof as a way to let in light as I painted. When I moved away we used it for storage and the tarp was falling apart. I’m back in Florida now with John, replacing the roof with new wood and metal roofing panels. More photos to come. ￼￼￼
As I was beginning to plan where to put all my shelves in the art studio, I realized I didn’t have enough wall space. I decided to build a wall between the two halves of the studio to give me room for all my hanging shelves. I didn’t like how closed off it felt, however, so I cut a large opening in the wall at eye level to open up the space.
Since that leaves me only half a wall when I needed a whole wall, I’m also putting half a wall between the breeze through and the far section of studio. That will allow me to mount all my shelves and still have a view of the entire studio as well as the horse corral and yard.
I thought I would be done with my studio before Thanksgiving but, as I should have known, projects always take 2 to 4 times longer than expected.
I just love being able to see outside all around me. I especially love being able to see into the horse’s corral and barn from my studio. Makes me want to sleep in my studio even more, LOL!
This time, when I made my cut outs, I left the siding on the outside of the walls. That way I won’t have to piece it back together later.
Once the windows and trim are on, I will put cement board siding over this older plywood siding.
With a week of sunny days in front of us, I decided it would be best to work on the outside of the art studio. We had a few days of rain and now with a break in the weather I realize I had better take advantage of the dry.
I could have chosen to have new windows but I had collected these old charmers over the past two years and I just love them. They may not be as energy efficient but I can create a barrier if I need to, from the weather, with clear bubble wrap or plastic.
Much of the siding I have used was given to us through Freecycle. I have begun buying new siding now though.
Look how bright the double room is now with the sheet rock up and ready to finish trimming out and painting. John and Ryan and I spent the last two days working as much as possible to get the ceiling in place. There was a lot of prep work to be done: finishing the insulation, spraying some foam insulation into cracks and crevices all over the place, and making sure there were no screws or nails or dried foam in the way of the sheet rock being raised into place. I only missed one little screw which created a little bubble when I hung that piece of ceiling. I had to cut into the bubble and will patch it later.
This time we rented a sheet rock raising tool to help us lift the large heavy Gypsum boards into place. I appreciated having the tool around for lifting the boards, fitting, and cutting them. It rented for $39 a day at Home Depot. We ended up using it for a day and a half.
I was able to work for three hours at a time and then I would have to take a break and have a snack or meal. I’m pretty happy about how much energy I had today. I was dripping with sweat and I felt so dirty when work was through but I feel blissful and tired after my shower, having accomplished so much.
This room is going to look so amazing! I’m tempted to make this room my bedroom LOL!
The first piece of sheet rock is in place!
The insulation you see between the rafters is a stiff foam insulation about 4 inches thick. This came from a greyhound bus station. It was given to my sister Cheryl and I after she found it online. I think she requested insulation through Freecycle. This insulation was bound for the dump but we were able to collect and use it instead.
I am very excited to be working on the designated art studio area in the cottage finally. Once this art studio area is finished I can move all my art supplies out of my very cramped living room studio and into the cottage studio.
Moving my art studio will allow me to open my home back up for family gatherings and more comfortable entertaining of friends. .
I am looking forward to decorating my house for the holidays this year 🙂
I’m so excited I can now move on to the pop out windows which will be in the open triangle spaces below the upper roof. After that I will put in the large triangle windows for the loft area on all four sides of the building.
Working on construction in my life reminds me of sewing a dress one seam each day. The process takes a long time but eventually I end up with a finished product.
This sort of reminds me of the baby steps I take in my life. Moving slowly through life’s lessons I sometimes wonder if I’m making any progress… But looking back on everything I accomplished I realize how much I’ve learned. Realizing that life is a series of baby steps helps me feel happier and more content with the process.