The Hay Got Wet!

This morning when I came out to feed the horses I noticed the hay was wet. Yesterday it rained all day, and the water seeped through the unprotected boards that are the walls of the barn. That is bad. Nobody wants wet moldy hay!

As you can see in this photo, the walls are not complete, and there is no protective siding yet to keep the hay dry.

Breeze through area with hay and saddle areas along the left wall.

When I woke I noticed that the day had dawned glorious and sunny, though the weather report said rain. I seized the day. The sunshine meant we could work in dry conditions as we put siding up on the barn. The siding will keep the inside walls dry which in turn will keep the hay dry, and the tack, and everything else. I’m so delighted with the beautiful weather today.

The siding we are using was donated by a man in Washington. Β I am using cement based siding on the lower rows, and wood pressed siding on the upper rows.

Juliana brushing Bae in the area soon to be stalls.

12 comments for “The Hay Got Wet!

1. Helga Silski
    October 14, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Michele I stand in total awe of you and what you have accomplished, you must be thrilled at the progress of the barn, looks totally comfortable and so cool. You are awe inspiring sister! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• October 14, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Helga,
      The barn is truly becoming a comfortable place. We love hanging out with the horses and now we have a shelter to do so. In fact, being there when the rain is tapping on the metal roof is sort of magical. I am excited to get the stalls set up with automatic waterers and hay racks and doors, etc. I also have a fun idea to hang Christmas lights for when we are out there in the evening!

2. April 29, 2017 at 9:35 am

What kind of horses do you have?? Sorry about your Hay! If you have cows, cows don’t mind wet and partly moldy hay…

• April 29, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I have Missouri Fox Trotters. Fortunately not much of the hay got wet. We will have things more water tight by this next season!

• April 29, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Oh, cool. Missouri Fox Trotters, are pretty! Hope you get your barn/shed done… Good thing your hay Didn’t get wet as much.

• April 29, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I almost forgot, the two brown horses (sorrel and bay) are the Fox Trotters and the lighter one is a Mustang filly. Check out my pictures of our log and cob spiral house we are building in the woods. I think based on your posts you will appreciate it.

• April 30, 2017 at 5:39 am

Cool, cool. Ill check them out..

• April 29, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Oops. I guess those photos are on my facebook site. Michele Ballantyne

• April 30, 2017 at 5:45 am

That one horse, I think her name is Bae… She/He is adorable!

• April 30, 2017 at 11:38 am

All our horses are girls. We get a lot of that “marish” behavior i’ve heard so much about. A lot of nipping and squealing and halfhearted kicking between them. But they don’t really hurt each other.

• April 30, 2017 at 11:38 am

Thanks, yes, Bay is very very sweet and so so friendly.

3. April 30, 2017 at 11:40 am