Progress on Horse Barn

Pictures from top to bottom:

First picture is of all four stalls looking down the hallway from the end stall which will be an open area.

Second picture is showing one of the stalls and the front wall.

Third picture is showing the barn roof from the roof of the art cottage next to the barn. The red roof area is where the hay is stored in the horse barn.

The fourth picture shows where the corner of the barn roof ran into the art cottage roof so I modified the corner of the barn roof to fit over the art cottage roof.

So far the barn is made of eight small sections. Once the overhang area is completed there will be 12 small sections each under 200 ft.²

Advertisements

Barn roof on!

As you can see our opaque white roof is on now. I used Suntuf opal white roofing panels which I made of poly carbonate, which allows light to come through but not as intensely as a clear roof would. It’s a beautiful soft white glow inside.

Next we will put in the stall walls and doors and then the overhang that will extend out beyond the stalls.

I’m so glad to get the roof done. On the bright side, I burned a lot of calories up there the last few weeks.

Phase 2 – The Stalls

The three sections on the left will be stalls with a walk-through area between the stalls and the hey Barnes. The section on the far right we will be a place for tacking up or other barn activities.

Each section is individual and less than 200 ft.². After these I will be building four overhang sections for outdoor shade and cover in front of these four sections.

Bad, bad horses!

Just kidding. I should say horses having a frolic down the neighborhood street through perfectly groomed and just planted yards.

Yesterday, I was running errands and my horses got out. Fortunately there was someone at home to go get them when one of the neighbors kindly came and told us. My son, and a young man who is doing some work for me, went and wrangled them back home again. Unfortunately, in their outing the horses had done some damage to two yards.

One of the neighbors didn’t get too upset but they have horses so they are more sympathetic I guess. The horses did bend over their newly planted crêpe myrtle tree as well as fling up bark dust in their newly landscaped backyard.

The other neighbor was a little more upset. He controlled his anger but I could still feel it plenty. He didn’t yell or anything but the horses had left their footprints all over his freshly smoothed out dirt that he was having planted the next day. He said he spent the last three hours smoothing it again. He let me know if they came over after it was planted he wouldn’t be too happy about it.

I let him know that I would have come and smooth it out if he would have let me know. I felt pretty bad. I went in my room and cried. I felt like moving from our “country” neighborhood to the real country where people are a little more used to animals and their ways. I feel like my neighborhood is not meant for country people but for fancy yard people.

Another toy for Ryan and me. 

​​​

I borrowed a friends tractor and had a great time grading our back half acre.

We smoothed out the pasture area and created a nice slope in the new barn area where we will be building this summer. Also, spent some time smoothing out the old garden to extend our grassy back lawn.

The new barn area will have a solid run of packed gravel base and pea gravel on top to keep the horses feet out of the mud this winter.  We will also have a hay barn included so that we won’t have to drag the hay on dollys through the rain to the barn!

We are building 12 small structures to make our new barn. Each structure is under 200 ft.² and can stand alone.

I drew so many plans before I finally settled on one. The planning is so fun.

I kind of love projects. 

We Got a Horse Trailer!

I’m so excited, we finally got a horse trailer so we can ride our horses at the beautiful parks and horse back riding trails in the area. 

We found a good deal on a used trailer in Washington but it needs a little work. 


After wire brushing the rust with a drill and a wire brush bit, John and I painted a special chemical on the rusty spots that changes the rust into a paintable black surface.


Tomorrow we drop the trailer off, along with the truck to get the brake assist installed on our truck and also to get the broken light fixed on the trailer. 

Yay! It will be great to do more than just fox trot up and down the street ha ha.